Sexual Health Educator
The Sexual Health Educator is responsible for providing risk reduction counseling, education and screening services to young men of color who have sex with other men (MSM) through planned strategies and interventions that are outlined in the grant work plan. Essential functions of this role:
· Works with staff and Peer Educators to plan, promote, and implement outreach and engagement strategies and group activities according to annual goals and objectives
· Conducts enhanced outreach strategies to reach target communities including street, neighborhood, bar and internet outreach
· Assists with the development of marketing strategies and social media materials that promote programs and services to target populations
· Identifies and develops partnerships with community agencies that will strengthen program promotion and linkages to care
· Facilitates individual and group behavioral interventions according to required (core) program elements and group facilitation procedures
· Maintains complete, current and accurate client and program files that comply with agency confidentiality policies and grant requirements
· Conducts rapid HIV and Hepatitis C screening according to New York State Department of Health, CDC and agency policies and procedures
· Provides individual harm reduction counseling, referrals and follow-up services to people in the target population.
· Assists with the development and implementation of training for staff and volunteers
Qualified Candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or related field and one (1) year experience working in HIV/AIDS or health/social services; OR an Associate’s degree in Public Health or related field with two (2) years of related professional experience; OR Equivalent combination of education and experience to include five (5) years of experience working in HIV prevention or sexual health field. Candidate must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in writing and verbally, conduct and read HIV tests and conduct meaningful pre- and post-test counseling with program participants. Sensitivity to HIV/AIDS and lifestyle issues is essential. Must have a reliable vehicle and clean NYS Driver's License.
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor’s (plus 1 year experience); Associates (plus 2 years experience); OR equivalent combination
Required experience: Working in HIV/AIDs prevention or sexual health field
Additional requirement: Must have a reliable vehicle and clean NYS Driver's License.